BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

(R)ocky Top, (R)hubarb (R)ecipe, and a (R)eally Expensive Ironing Board

You may have figured out by now that my love of all things orange stems from my love of Tennessee. Since it's my blog and I can do whatever I want (and some of you people will read anything), here goes: 

I wanted to show you my church key because it wasn't working properly and it was really funny, but then it started to perform. Every. Single. Time. You can even hear me humming in the background:
Rocky Top was the first song I taught me kids to sing. True story. The second one was You Never Even Called Me By My Name by David Alan Coe. Then the Alphabet Song. That is why I won that Mother of the Year Award that one year.

Okay, on to rhubarb. I was on my way to buy some rhubarb plants Monday when I was so rudely interrupted. This is what I was hoping to make someday:  

Mexican Rhubarb Chocolate Chunk Brownies

Ingredients

For the rhubarb compote:

  • 1 cup rhubarb, strings removed, cut in 1/2-inch slices
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 2 tablespoons granulated sugar

For the brownie batter:

  • 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 tablespoon New Mexico chile powder (not chili powder)
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate
  • 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick), room temperature
  • 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
  • 2 large eggs, room temperature
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon dark rum
  • 2 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
  • 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
  • Shortening spray, for baking dish

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
To make the rhubarb compote: In a small saucepan over medium heat, bring rhubarb, water and sugar to a boil. When sugar is dissolved, lower heat to a simmer and cook until rhubarb is soft, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and cool slightly. Puree in a blender until smooth, if necessary. The rhubarb should break down to a smooth compote.
To make the brownie batter: In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, Chile powder, cinnamon and salt. Set aside. In a clean microwavable glass bowl, melt bittersweet and unsweetened chocolate together in the microwave at 50 percent power or in a double boiler. Set aside.
In a stand mixer, cream butter and sugar on medium speed. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, combining well. Add in the vanilla and rum. Stir the rhubarb into the chocolate mixture, then add to the batter. Mix until combined. Add the flour mixture and mix just until incorporated. Scrape down the sides with a rubber spatula and gently fold in the semisweet chocolate and walnuts. Do not over mix. Spray an 8 by 8 by 2-inch clear glass baking dish with shortening spray. Line bottom with parchment paper, then spray parchment. Pour batter into the prepared pan and smooth out top. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 35 to 40 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool. Cut into squares and serve.

Hopefully they won't be nasty. It could go either way.

And finally, about that $200 ironing board?


It came with instructions.

5 comments:

Beth Zimmerman said...[Reply to comment]

I LOVE that ironing board cover! And could probably use the instructions but I hardly ever iron!

Gregg Metcalf said...[Reply to comment]

Good old Rocky Top, Rocky Top, Tennessee. Now that tune will be in my head.

My first songs that I have memory of playing when I was little, my folks always had Hank Williams, Kitty Wells, Loretta Lynn, and Eddie Arnold.

Survivormama said...[Reply to comment]

That is so awesome...LOL...love the bottle opener playing music...great post!

Lisa said...[Reply to comment]

That recipe sounds delightful!

Anonymous said...[Reply to comment]

I think I need that ironing board cover as well. I hate ironing! I learned Rocky Top in elementary school, one of those "perks" of going to school in TN? My funniest Rocky Top memory is listening to a couple of international exchange students in college singing it to me and some friends of mine. It was part of some scavenger hunt/get acclimated to US/etc. activity they were doing. Or, wait... maybe we were supposed to sing it to them? Anyway, it was funny!