BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, April 29, 2010

(Y)ou'uns

What's that you might ask?

I don't really know.  I'm not even sure that's how you spell it.

When I first moved to this place I thought everybody was talking about the family from the tv show Dallas.  You know, the Ewin's.  And I couldn't figure out why for the life of me.

My best guess is that it is a contraction for you ones.

Southern Illinois is a really funny place, phonetically. Hey, it's a word; spellcheck says so.

A lot of people around here have quite a southern-style twang, yet instead of using the correct word, ya'll, they say you'uns.  Even the school teachers, who are mostly somewhat educated.  A lot of these people say warsh, too, which I always thought was a more yankee thing.

In Iowa, where I lived until I was 15, we drank pop.  When I moved to Tennessee we drank coke.  Not Coke, coke.  As in, "What do you want to drink?"  "I'll have a coke."  "What kind?"  "Mountain Dew."  Here?  Soda.  Actually, it's pronounced SO-dee.  That particular word I have actually taken a shine to.  I say it all the time.

Another thing they get wrong around here?  Chipmunks.  Everybody (in Des Moines, IA) knows they are squinnies.

3 comments:

Rae said...[Reply to comment]

Are you making fun of me?
My husband and I both have that Southern Illinois twang.
He'll be sitting around at night with a bowl of popcorn and look over at me and say. "Yunt some?"
And I say, "Got any So-dee to go with that?"
ha!

Raquel Byrnes said...[Reply to comment]

My husband's family is from New York and they all say the darndest things. Pocketbook instead of purse, frankfurter instead of hot dog...funny. I wonder if my California accent is prominent to them?

Anonymous said...[Reply to comment]

:) Funny, I'm working on a similar post about y'all and the South. The "What kind of Coke?" comment already made it in. :) I always thought that "warsh" was a Southern thing (along with "wrench" for "rinse"). My husband's grandfather was from Missouri and apparently said "Sodee" all of the time too. Great post!