BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Saturday, April 17, 2010

(O)CD

It was documented earlier in the challenge that I am not a neat person. That makes this next piece of information all the more perplexing.

I work in a lab in a factory and we test samples there. These samples arrive in a tube through a pneumatic tube system, like at banks. We open the tube, cut pieces off of the samples to be tested, stack the remaining pieces up on the table in front of us, and send the tube back. We then load the cut pieces into the appropriate equipment to be tested. We have banks of these tube systems and depending on which side you are working on you are receiving tubes from 2 to 4 different places. Usually it is 3. So you have 3 stacks that you are working on at once.

Okay, so I'm a slob. I have no trouble living amid clutter and chaos. But when I am at work...I can't. My stacks have got to be perfect. I will stop what I am doing and re-stack them if they start getting wonky. When I come back from break I will re-stack what the relief person stacked while I am gone. My co-workers are all aware of this, shall we say, fetish of mine. Some of them will just leave my samples lying on the table if they have to cut any for me so I can stack them my own way.

It wouldn't be such a big deal if these stacks were important in any way, but they're not. At the end of the shift they are taken downstairs and recycled. Who cares if mine are the prettiest on the pallet? No one, that's who. And, no kidding, every day when I come back from break I tell myself to just let it go; it's not a big deal at all. But I just can't. I get this really heavy pressure in my chest and it gets really hard to breath and I hear a ringing in my ears. And I. Must. Re. Stack.

There, that's better.

5 comments:

Mel Chesley said...[Reply to comment]

Haha! Yeah, but that just goes to show you have a good work ethic. I am not the neatest person either, but when I cook dinner I get OCD all over everyone. Clean counters, don't put that spoon in your mouth! XD Stuff like that. So, I guess I am a slob with OCD tendencies. lol

wolfie 402 said...[Reply to comment]

Ha! That sounds kind of like me! I hate organizing my things at home, but at other places I NEED it. I can't break either habit. Ha!

Raquel Byrnes said...[Reply to comment]

Workspace organization is apparently very important especially when you share it with others. I once shared a workspace with a left handed person and she drove me nuts. I'd get in for my shift and all the pens, stapelers, the mouse, the screen...all tilted to accomodate the WRONG side. =) I'm...I'm okay now.

Patricia Stoltey said...[Reply to comment]

I'm finally finding time to work my way through the rest of Arlee Bird's A to Z blogroll but all the blogs are so great I get stuck working my way back through post after post. You have a wonderful, entertaining blog. Hope you don't mind if I come back from time to time.

Rae said...[Reply to comment]

Hey! I'm the same way with my Pringles! Who cares if they are nice and neatly stacked? They are going in my belly anyhow!