BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, April 19, 2010

A (P)lethora of (P)s

I really have a (P)azillion (see how I did  that? Not gazillion, pazillion. With a p.) thing s to do today. After struggling with (N) and (O) I just have too many (P)s! And no time.

My first thought was a post on (P)oints. I'm a sucker for 'em. It all started with mypoints. I get emails everyday and I click on the link and get 5 points. Sometimes I am actually interested in whatever it is and I will buy it; sometimes I get points for signing up for a newsletter. I sent flowers to someone today and got 750 points. I have earned just about 50,000 points since I started and I redeem them for $50 amazon e-gift certificates every 7500 points. You can get all kinds of things with your points but I like amazon.

That's not so crazy--you can see the reward in all of those points. What is crazy is my incessant need to accumulate points at spark people. Spark People is a weight loss web site and they give out points for different activities. The funny thing is I got 25 points from mypoints for signing up at Spark People, but now every day I read emails from them and get 1 point. I log in every day and spin the wheel and get points. I even lie and say that I drink 8 glasses of water every day so I can get 5 points. Instead of availing myself of all the tools they have there to work on losing weight, I hoard points. And I can't even get anything with them! I'm up over 7500 now. They give me a little trophy icon according to how many points I have and I just eat it up.

The next (P) I thought of was (P)rotection. My son has a new girlfriend. He is 16. I got to have THE TALK with him Saturday morning. Lord knows if anyone is going to make me a grandma it is going to be him. His sister is almost 19 and is on the pill, paid for by me. I figured I should do the same for him. He says this girl is abstinent but we all know that doesn't last. I think I handled the conversation pretty well, except for all the nervous laughter. And I only lost my cool once, when he told me she was a vegetarian. "Good Lord, Son, I think I'd rather you bring home a baptist." And I'm only half kidding.

No, the (P) I finally settled on is (P)olka. I love it. There is a polka band from Ashley IL, which is only about 20 miles from here, that I have seen on the Big Joe Polka Show, but I can't remember their name. My daughter went to a car show in Ashley last summer and called me to tell me that they were there playing that "stupid song you like". She's a doll, really. I couldn't find anything on this band, of course, so I will leave you with a clip of the Polka Nuts:



I believe you can see them this Thursday night on Big Joe on RFDTV at 6pm Central time. (And I really hope there is beer in heaven.)

6 comments:

Raquel Byrnes said...[Reply to comment]

Your post on points made me laugh. I especially like the confession of lying about water...instead of actually drinking the water.

I used to do sweepstakes on line and got quickly addicted. I think I won eye make-up once.

I feel you...horde away, it serves a cathartic purpose.

Survivormama said...[Reply to comment]

That was a great post on points..too funny, love the part on water as well!

RHYTHM AND RHYME said...[Reply to comment]

I enjoyed your "P" POST, I haven't heard aboutthe points before, perhaps they don't do that in the UK. Hope you've got over giving your son that talk, I recall my husband prepared to talk to my eldest when he started dating,
My son asked his dad"What do you want to know dad?" I think my husband got the message.
Take care.
Yvonne,

Gregg Metcalf said...[Reply to comment]

Very entertaining and refreshing! Glad I stopped by!

Rae said...[Reply to comment]

Okay! You just won 35,000 points for that post! Get to the end of the alphabet and you can trade all your points in for a box o wine! I am shocked at your vocabulary! That alone gains you 500 bonus points!

Ella said...[Reply to comment]

I agree you need to win points for this great post! It was fun to read!